NOTICE - CONTEST PERIOD IS OVER
The Your Choice Matters contest period is now over and prizes have been awarded. However, if you haven't done so already, we invite you to join the incoming class by submitting your photo.
- Gift Card: Get your home essentials when you arrive on campus ($50 CAD value)
- Movie Theatre Gift Card: Take a break after class at the local movie theatre ($100 CAD value)
- Ultimate Lakehead Prize Pack: A variety of Lakehead branded goodies ($120 CAD value)
- Lakehead University Student Union (LUSU) Gift Card: redeem at favourite hangouts like The Study and The Outpost ($150 CAD value)
- AirPods ($270 CAD value)
- Ultimate Season Pass for You and a Friend: Tickets to ALL Thunderwolves Varsity Games ($400 CAD value)
- Alumni Bookstore Gift Card ($500 CAD value)
Everyone has a chance to win one of our 3 Grand Prizes:
- Winter Fun Pack ($1,000 CAD)
- Flight Voucher ($2,500 CAD)
- Tuition Credit ($5,000 CAD)
Join your incoming class
Share your Lakehead pride, and join the incoming class by submitting your photo.
Terms & Conditions
Your Choice Matters Contest Rules and Regulations
Lakehead University, Thunder Bay and Orillia Campuses
April 1, 2023 to May 30, 2023
This Contest is open to admitted applicants to Lakehead University
(“Lakehead”), more particularly described below under “Eligibility”.
By entering this Contest, the Contestant signifies the Contestant’s
acceptance of and agreement to abide by the rules and regulations (“Contest
Rules”) set out here by Lakehead.
Your Choice Matters is an International Enrolment contest (the “Contest”) created to encourage applicants to share their pride in receiving an Offer to Lakehead University by sharing a photo of themselves at a site of significance for them in their home country using an online submission tool, in order to promote their intentions to join Lakehead in the Incoming Class of Fall 2023. All eligible entries will be entered into draws to win prizes as described in Section E (hereinafter “Prizes”).
The Contest provides Contestants with the chance to win the Prizes set out in the Contest Rules. The Contest will remain open for the Contest Period. Contestants may enter the Contest at any time during the Contest Period, and they acknowledge that they will only be eligible to be included in draws for the prizes that remain from the date from which they enter. Only 1 (one) entry per Contestant.
FULL CONTEST RULES:
This Contest is open to all international applicants who have been admitted no later than May 15, 2023 to the Fall 2023 academic semester to Lakehead’s Thunder Bay or Orillia campuses, and who have not previously enrolled at Lakehead, and who have not previously commenced full time attendance at Lakehead. This contest is not open to:
- the employees, officers, directors, representatives, and agents of Lakehead, its respective advertising and promotion agencies and their family members, or any of the respective affiliates, related entities, successors or assigns; or
persons domiciled with or who are immediate family of any of the above
(as determined by Lakehead in its sole discretion).
Contestants may not enter as a group, organization or school, and no
Contestant may enter more than once unless specifically allowed by these
rules. If it is discovered that an individual entered more than once in
contravention of these Contest Rules, all of that individual’s entries may
be void in the sole discretion of Lakehead.
For the purposes of these rules, the term:
“Individual” does not include a corporation, partnership, non-profit group or trust;
- “Contestant” includes any eligible individual who has entered the Contest;
“Prizes” has the meaning set out in paragraph E herein;
“Offer” is a Letter of Acceptance to Lakehead University; and
“Student Account” is the official Lakehead University student account where the credit and debit of tuition charges, compulsory fees, course fees, as well as residence charges are documented.
B. HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- By entering and participating in the Contest, each Contestant acknowledges that they have read, understood, and accepted these Contest Rules.
- To enter the Contest, the Contestant must:
- Have an active Offer by May 15, 2023 for entry into one of Lakehead University’s academic degree programs at the Thunder Bay or Orillia campuses for the Fall 2023 academic semester.
- Go online at www.yourchoicematters.ca and complete the Contest Entry Form.
- No purchase is necessary to enter this Contest.
C. CONTEST PERIOD:
- The Contest commences April 1, 2023 at 12:00:01 am EDST and ends on May 28, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm EDST ("Contest Period").
- There is a limit of one submission per eligible entrant. Duplicate entries will not be considered.
- Only entries received during the Contest Period will be eligible. Entries posted before commencement of or after conclusion of the Contest Period will be disqualified.
- Ten winning entries will receive a pre-determined Prize between May 12, 2023 at 08:30:00 am EDST and May 30, 2023 at 12:00:00 pm EDST. The potential winner will be chosen by Lakehead in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Prizes will be drawn as follows:
Winners of prizes 1 - 7 will also be entered in the draw to win one of the final three prizes, prizes 8, 9 or 10
- Prize #1 – May 12, 2023
- Prize #2 – May 15, 2023
- Prize #3 – May 17, 2023
- Prize #4 –May 19, 2023
- Prize #5 – May 22, 2023
- Prize #6 – May 24, 2023
- Prize #7 – May 26, 2023
- Prize #8 – May 30, 2023
- Prize #9 – May 30, 2023
- Prize #10 – May 30, 2023
- All eligible entries will be included in the Contest and Lakehead will randomly choose the potential winners.
D. NOTIFICATION OF WINNER & HOW TO REDEEM:
- The potential winner will be contacted through the email that was provided on the Contest Entry Form in which they entered by May 28, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm EDST with instructions on claiming the Prize. The potential winner will be advised on the procedure to be followed, and any additional requirements, to receive the Prize.
- Email notification confirming the Contestant's entry, if any, is not final confirmation that the Contestant has won the Prize.
- In order to redeem and receive the Prize, the Contestant chosen as the potential winner must:
- correctly answer a mathematical skill testing question, without assistance or mechanical aid,
- comply with these Contest Rules
- become a registered international student with Lakehead University for the Fall 2023 academic semester. The potential winner must register with Lakehead University by September 18, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm EDST.
- sign and return a Prize Claim Declaration and Release Form by the deadline set out in paragraph F(1) below, confirming the Contestant's compliance with these Contest Rules, releasing Lakehead and its respective advertising and promotional agencies, or any of their respective affiliates, related entities, employees, officers, directors, representatives, volunteers, agents, successors or assigns from all liability associated with the Contest or the prizes, and containing such other provisions as Lakehead deems reasonable in its sole discretion.
- Lakehead may declare the redemption for any particular Prize invalid, if, in the sole opinion of Lakehead, these Contest Rules have been breached in any way. If the Prize is unclaimed because a potential winner fails to fulfill the requirements set out in paragraph D(3) above, may (in Lakehead's sole discretion) no longer be awarded, as more particularly set out in paragraph F(1) below.
- With the exception of collecting information during the Contest Period for purposes of managing the draw, no correspondence for the purpose of the Contest will be entered into except with potential winner(s).
- If the Contestant is a minor in the Contestant's jurisdiction of residence at the time of registration, the Contestant needs parental consent to claim the Prize. In this event, the "Prize Claim Declaration and Release Form" relating to such Prize must be executed by the Contestant's parent or legal guardian, and the Prize will be awarded to the Contestant's parent/ legal guardian.
NOTE: When returning the required documentation to Lakehead, it is strongly
recommended that the Contestant send the documents using insured Registered
Mail with a receipt of mailing if using regular mail service, however
facsimiles and emails with electronic signatures will be accepted. Prior to
mailing, please photocopy all materials the Contestant is submitting.
Once the Contestant's completed form has been received and verified, and
all other conditions have been fulfilled, Lakehead will then make
arrangements for the Contestant to receive the Contestant's rewarded Prize.
E. PRIZE DESCRIPTIONS, ODDS OF WINNING AND PRIZE VALUES:
The following list details the ("Prizes") each Contestant is eligible
for. Prizes will be awarded on campus once the winner has begun their studies at Lakehead University in the Fall 2023 academic semester.
Prize #1 – $50 Gift Card, with an approximate value of
Prize #2 – Ultimate Lakehead Prize Pack, with an approximate value
of $120.00 CAD
Prize #3 – Lakehead University Student Union Gift Card, with an
approximate value of $150.00 CAD
Prize #4 – Athletics Swag Pack, with an approximate value of
Prize #5 – AirPods with Charging Case, with an approximate value of
Prize #6 - $500 Alumni Bookstore Gift Card, with an approximate
value of $500.00 CAD
Prize #7 – Ultimate Thunderwolves Varsity Games Season Pass for Two Individuals, with an
approximate value of $600.00 CAD
Prize #8 – Winter Fun Pack, with an approximate value of $1,000.00
Prize #9 - $2,500 CAD Flight Voucher, with an approximate value of
Prize #10 – $5,000 CAD Tuition Credit, with a value of $5,000.00 CAD***
* Winner must coordinate the in-person claiming of the prize at Gear Up for Outdoors, 894 Alloy Pl, Thunder Bay, ON, with Lakehead University International Enrolment, and claim must be completed by November 1, 2023.
** Winner must submit receipts showing payment of valid airline flight (in the name of the Winner) taken between the Winner’s home country and the nearest airport to one of Lakehead’s campuses within the arrival period for their legal entry into Canada to commence their Fall 2023 academic semester studies. Receipts must be submitted by September 18, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm EDST. The amount of receipts for valid airline flight, up to a maximum of $2,500 CAD, will be deposited into the winner’s Student Account after September 18, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm EDST and upon verification of all submitted documentation.
*** Winner must be a full-time enrolled student at Lakehead University on the Thunder Bay or Orillia campus, and their student account must be in good standing, as of September 18, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm EDST. The $5,000 CAD will be applied directly to the student's account in the form of a tuition credit for the Fall 2023 semester, and cannot be redeemed for cash and is not eligible for any refund.
The Prizes cannot be exchanged for monetary value, nor can it be refunded. Lakehead is not responsible for any loss of damages incurred after claiming the Prize. Lakehead and its affiliates are not responsible for incurring costs associated with Prizes. Any Prize unclaimed by the selected winner by September 18, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm EDST, or any earlier deadline so described above, will no longer be awarded to that winner and a backup winner may be drawn in Lakehead's sole discretion.
Odds of winning will depend on the number of entries received. For all
Prizes, all costs and expenses not specifically listed and paid for as part
of the Prize (including without limitation: Lakehead tuition, meals, books,
student fees, personal expenses, living expenses and taxes) are the Contest
Winning the Prize does not in any way guarantee acceptance for enrolment at Lakehead, and the potential prize winner is responsible for applying to and registering at Lakehead to qualify to win and prior to receipt of the Prizes, subject to all University eligibility requirements unrelated to this Contest. For greater certainty, in order to be eligible for the Prizes, the potential Prize winner must have applied to and been admitted to and registered as one of Lakehead’s international students, and fulfill all other requirements for entrance and enrolment into the University. Use of the Prize and the Prize itself are subject to any and all terms and conditions normally imposed by Lakehead.
F. PRIZE RESTRICTIONS AND CONDITIONS:
Each Prize Claim Declaration and Release Form must be received by
Lakehead within seven (7) days of Prize notifications or such Prizes will
be forfeited. In this event, Lakehead reserves the right in its sole
discretion and in any manner whatsoever to award the forfeited Prizes to
another Contestant, or to not award the forfeited Prizes to anyone.
No Prize transfer, assignment, or substitution by winners is permitted.
If any Prize [or part of a Prize] is unavailable, Lakehead, in its
discretion, reserves the right to substitute the original Prize [or that
part of the Prize] with alternative Prize(s) to the equal monetary value
and/or specification, unless to do so would be prohibited by law.
G. CONTACT INFORMATION:
The contact information, which Lakehead will use to notify a potential
winner of any Prizes the Contestant has won and in relation to the delivery
of any documentation, will be dependent on the contact information provided
by the Contestant when completing the Contest Entry Form. If any of the
Contestant's contact information changes, it is the Contestant's
responsibility to notify Lakehead of the Contestant's new information by
contacting the Lakehead University International Enrolment Office by
H. GENERAL RULES GOVERNING CONTESTANTS AND WINNERS (MORE LEGAL STUFF):
- Individuals may only register and participate in the Contest once using one Contest Entry Form. Those Contestants who are found to have multiple Contest entries (unless specifically and expressly authorized by these Contest Rules) may be disqualified and no longer able to participate in the Contest, at Lakehead's sole discretion.
- Lakehead reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject any Contest entries that are incomplete, incorrect (errors in email addresses etc), obscene or offensive, or contain obscene or offensive material, or that violate applicable laws or Lakehead University's Student Code of Conduct policies (the "Codes") or in the case of a Contestant who is not subject to the Codes, would so violate if the Contestant was subject to the Codes. The Student Code of Conduct policies can be found on Lakehead's website here: https://www.lakeheadu.ca/students/student-life/student-conduct. The decisions of Lakehead on all matters relating to the Contest will be final and binding on all Contestants.
- Lakehead University and its agents, employees, directors, officers, and volunteers (the "Lakehead Group") assumes no responsibility for: lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected Contest entries registrations, or correspondence; any failure or slow-down of the website during the Contest Period or any failure or slowdown of Contest Entry Form, or software supporting, connected to or related to the Contest; any problems or technical malfunction or speed or quality of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, or software howsoever caused; failure of any email or transmission to be received by Lakehead University on account of technical problems, spam filters, or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website; any injury or damage to a Contestant or any other person or their computer or other property, related to or resulting from participating in the Contest or downloading any material related thereto; or any combination thereof. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt by Lakehead University.
- The Lakehead Group is not responsible for any on-line or other charges the Contestant may incur in connection with participating in the Contest. The Lakehead Group is not responsible for the availability or content of any other social media profile to which the profile is linked. All content on the website is the property of Lakehead or suppliers of the items offered in the Contest. Lakehead grants a limited license to each user of the website to make personal use only of the Contest Entry Form. Any other use, including the reproduction, modification, distribution, transmission or display of the content on the website is strictly forbidden.
- The Contestant is prohibited from using any method, mechanism, device or software to affect the proper functioning of the website of Lakehead and, should any attempt to do so be made, Lakehead reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law. Lakehead may, in its sole discretion and without notice, terminate the right of any Contestant in the Contest or user of the website to participate in the Contest or to use the website. In the event of Contestant's termination, any Contest entries from that Contestant will be deemed expired and void and will be ineligible, and the Lakehead Group shall not have any further liability with respect thereto.
- Lakehead reserves the right, in its sole discretion (subject to any required governmental approvals) and without notice, to modify, cancel, suspend and/or terminate this Contest for any reason whatsoever, in its sole discretion, including without limitation in the event a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of Lakehead corrupts the security or proper administration of the Contest. In the event of Contest cancellation, any Contest entries will be deemed expired and void and will be ineligible, and the Lakehead Group shall not have any further liability with respect thereto.
- Lakehead reserves the right, in its sole discretion (subject to any required governmental approvals) and without notice, to modify, cancel, suspend and/or terminate access to the website for any reason whatsoever, in its sole discretion, including without limitation to prevent corruption of the security or proper administration of the Contest. In the event of Contestant's termination, any Contest entries from that Contestant will be deemed expired and void and will be ineligible, and the Lakehead Group shall not have any further liability with respect thereto.
All entries are final. Any goods and services offered through the website and any Prizes are provided on an "as is" basis and are subject to availability. Lakehead makes no representations or warranties, and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, there are no warranties or conditions of any kind, express or implied, statutory or otherwise with respect to the website or any goods and services offered through the Contest, the Prizes, or any transactions conducted through the Contest or the website, including without limitation:
- Implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement;
- Any implied warranty arising from course of dealing or usage of trade;
- Any obligation, liability, right, claim or remedy in tort, whether or not arising from the negligence of the Lakehead Group; and
- That the website will meet a Contestant's requirements, always be available, accessible, accurate or secure.
- The Lakehead Group will not be liable for any damages of any kind including without limitation direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages arising out of or in connection with participation in the Contest or use of the website or any goods or services obtained through the Contest or the website.
- This Contest is subject to all federal, provincial and municipal Laws, and is void where prohibited.
- Subject to the jurisdiction in Quebec of the Regie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, the right is reserved to withdraw, amend, or terminate this Contest at any time.
- For Quebec residents, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this publicity contest or the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Regie des alcools, des course et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Regie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
- By completing the Contest Entry Form, the eligible Contestant agrees that the submission complies with all of the conditions stated in these Contest Rules.
By completing the Contest Entry Form, the eligible Contestant authorizes Lakehead to use the winning entry and take photographs, videos, or produce other media of the Contest winner for promotional purposes and understands that the media will become and remain the property of Lakehead and that it can be used for any variety of purposes in the future. By entering the Contest and submitting the Contest Entry Form, the Contestant:
- Without limiting the website rules, as applicable, grants Lakehead, in perpetuity, a non-exclusive license to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use their entry materials (and each component thereof), in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Contest or for any other reason;
- Waives all moral rights in and to their entry materials (and each component thereof) in favour of Lakehead (and anyone authorized by Lakehead to use such entry materials); and
- Agrees to release and hold harmless the Lakehead Group from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses arising from use of their entry materials (or any component thereof), including, without limitation, any claim based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trade-mark infringement or any other intellectual property related or other cause of action whatsoever.
- By entering the Contest, the Contestant agrees that Lakehead may use the Contestant's entry materials, name, comments and likeness, in any matters related to the Contest, including any advertising or publicity, without compensation or further consent.
- During the Contest entry process, certain personal information (such as the Contestant's name, address, telephone number, email address, and in certain cases age) will be collected, and the Contestant will be automatically added to Lakehead's International Enrolment email list, for the purposes of allowing Lakehead to provide further information regarding the University. Contest entrants have the option of opting out of this email list once they receive their first email.